Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sweet Candy Company



Yesterday we went with our homeschool group on a candy factory tour. Too bad I didn't get a picture of us all in our lovely hairnets. I thought Hailee would keep trying to take it off but she did great. She only took it off one time. They had yellow lines painted on the floor that you had to stay between at all times. I felt like we were walking down the yellow brick road! They had 2500 lb bags of sugar that were hooked up to a "Sugar Pipe" which would take it to various places around the factory. They also had Chocolate and Corn Syrup pipes. It sort of felt like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory minus the little orange umpa lumpas!

My kids liked the Taffy Room the best. They roll Taffy into huge 90 lb. cylinders and then put it in a machine that rolls it out like a huge play dough snake. It's then cut and wrapped. We got to try a fresh, still warm watermelon taffy. It was incredible.





It was also fun to see how they make cinnamon bears and orange sticks.
















At the end of the tour we all got a free bag of Salt Water Taffy and then we bought some other yummy stuff in their store!





















5 comments:

zach said...

Oh my heavens Cheri I just heard what law they passed in California and I had to see what you thought about it. They actually banned home schooling!!!! They are flipping crazy! They are taking our rights as parents away from us (well not us, Californians) but who knows who is next! Now, I am not planning on home schooling my kids for various reasons (and by various I mean 1 reason: laziness) but I can't believe they are forcing parents in CA to put their kids in those crappy crime infested public California schools! Anyway, sorry to rant and rave I just couldn't believe it!

zach said...

oh by the way I am amy not zach. I'm amy. And I just realized that my laziness comment could be taken the wrong way, I mean that I am too lazy to home school...

Amanda said...

Yummy--I want to go to a candy factory--only I'm sure it wouldn't be very smart--seeing how I am once again trying to lose weight. You do the funnest things with your kids.

Holmes Family said...

Cheri,
This got me candy hungry! I'm so glad Easter is coming so I have a good excuse to eat some! It's awesome that your kids are more exposed to good and fun trips, rather than the lame and uneducated trips public schools encourage. You're incredible!

Tahnie said...

I wanna go on a tour of a candy factory! Where is the one you went on? I still think the Wonder Bread Factory was my favorite field trip just because you got that minature little bag of bread. Do you remember that?